IMB Journeymen are team members that are young adults under the age of 30 who are sent by their church as missionaries for a 2 year term through the IMB. They are a vital part IMB missionary teams all over the world. Serving as a Journeyman allows young adults to both be on mission and explore the possibility of lifelong service as a missionary. We prefer that you are a college graduate but do not require a bachelors degree.
IMB Team Member Qualifications and Preclusions
- Mid-Term Team Member
Those who apply for a mid-term Team Member assignment will be considering a 2- or 3-year term overseas. The IMB has mid-term opportunities that are fully funded by the IMB and non-funded by the IMB.
- Long-Term Team Member
Those who apply for a long-term Team Member assignment will be considering a minimum 3-year term overseas, with the intent to continue beyond the first term. All long-term Team Member roles are fully funded by the IMB.
Team Member Qualifications and Preclusions
All Team Members, whether funded by the IMB or their sending church, become full employees of the IMB. As IMB employees, there are some basic requirements:
- Residency or citizenship: IMB applicants must be either U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a 10-year green card.
- Church membership: An applicant must be a member of a Southern Baptist church
- Health and wellness: For fully-funded Team Members, healthcare is provided and therefore there are some health considerations prior to application:
- Applicants should have a body mass index (BMI) of 33 or less.
- Due to the unique challenges presented by overseas service, applicants and family members should be free from certain conditions/illnesses:
- Diabetes type 1, bipolar disorder, organ transplant, multiple sclerosis, current RSD/chronic regional pain syndrome, chronic renal failure, autism spectrum disorder, significant development delay, HIV, sickle cell anemia, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, history of malignancy/cancer within the past five years.
- In order to attend IMB training and orientation, Virginia law requires that all children be up to date on their immunizations according to the CDC schedule.
- Finances: For fully-funded Team Members there is a maximum amount of debt that is sustainable while serving overseas. The requirements are as follows:
- Mid Term – $275 per months for singles, $450 for couples. Journeymen – $235 per month for singles, $390 for couples.
- Long-term – $340 per month for singles, $570 for couples.
- Lifestyle: Applicants should exhibit a life of sexual purity, including having at least one year of abstinence from pornography before starting an assignment. Other related areas of sexual purity are also considered and addressed. We will work with you and your church to help you develop in the area of sexual purity while you’re preparing to go.